Wednesday, May 14, 2008


'Look up in the sky! Is it a bird?Is it a plane?Its Superman!' These words evoke imagery from our childhoods, and I'm sure we all remember the music that then followed. The same can be said for the sound track to our all time favourite movies, like the sound track to 'Titanic'.I've always been rather imaginative and growing up with the culture of television watching, music has always been associated with particular imagery or rather the other way around. By simply hearing the particular theme song for a programme or movie I am able to then remember the programme.Themes that stick out in my head include that of 'Pumpkin Patch' and 'Kideo' (I'm really showing my age here!), my favourites when i was growing up. The question then is if these programmes would have been so successful without the accompanying music? I know this might sound silly, but until recently I never quite enjoyed a song before i saw the video.I guess a lot of other people are like me or channels like MTV would not be as popular-my favourite channel by the way.Image and sound go together and compliment each other, it is with this realisation that music videos are so important to artists; you have not really made it until you have a music video out. Music is not only important in this respect, but also in film.Can one truly pull off a whole film, short or otherwise, without music? I doubt it. It is essential to the whole meaning making process, and adds to the nonverbal meaning making elements of a film.

3 comments:

Ntokozo Mntambo said...

i believe that music in a way, leads the way for the image. most of the time you dont have to have seen the image in order to be able to make sense of it. its even clear when listening to a song you often find that you can easily create an image that can be related to that song almost instantly. as soon as you hear a famous song you can almost immediately link it to a specific programme without necessarilly remembering the details of that programme

Varishma Hariparsad said...

I do agree that music does compliment an image in that it allows the viewr to interact with the image to a greater degree. it also impacts on society and we begin to associate popular songs with a particular programme.

A very good post.

Candice W said...

That is so true, and that is also why when artists release their new songs,it's only done once they have produced the video for it. I can also only really remember cartoons from way back when someone sings the theme song. It's a really good way of marketing a product.